Below is a list of recordings of the StudyUp: Knowledge To Go series
(an online designed to enhance writing and study skills).
- How to manage your time ( video recording)
- How to read effectively for study ( video recording)
- How to avoid plagiarism ( video recording)
- How to construct a paragraph ( video recording)
- How to write an essay ( video recording)
- How to do critical analysis ( video recording)
- How to improve your memory ( video recording)
- How to reference ( video recording)
- How to prepare for an exam ( video recording)
- How to survive an exam ( video recording)
- Academic knowledge and learning for postgraduate assignments ( video recording)
- Academic writing for postgraduate assignments ( video recording)
- Writing a literature review ( video recording)
- Writing the research proposal ( video recording)
- Register to receive reminders for StudyUp and StudyUp: Postgraduate live sessions
- View the programme for live sessions
Below is a complete list of YouTube video lectures on study skills and academic writing.
APA referencing: The basics
This video lecture gives an overview of referencing, with particular attention to APA style.
View the video [14:13]
APA referencing: Electronic sources
This video lecture explains the ins and outs of referencing sources which have been downloaded from the Internet or a database.
View the video [15:32]
APA 6th edition
This short video lecture describes the most important changes to APA referencing style introduced in the new 6th edition.
View the video [8:45]
Editing your work
This video lecture discusses the process of refining a draft assignment to improve the flow and clarity of the writing.
View the video [38:35]
This video lecture will take you through the process of preparing and writing an essay.
View the video [34:35]
Getting your research published
This video lecture examines various avenues that postgraduate students may wish to pursue to get their research disseminated in the academic community.
View the video [14:34]
The literature review
When embarking on research, students are required to know the research that has already been done in their field. The literature review examines previous related research. This video lecture explains how to write a literature review, and examines which elements are required in one.
View the video [25:06]
Preparing for your thesis oral examination
PhD students are required to sit an oral examination, called a viva voce, as part of the assessment procedure for their degree. This video lecture gives an idea of what can be expected and tips on how to prepare for the oral exam.
View the video [9:19]
This video lecture explains how to put a report together as an assignment, and focuses on the elements which are required in a good report.
View the video [30:24]
The research proposal
Postgraduate students embarking on a research project are usually required to submit a research proposal before they can start. This video lecture covers the most important aspects of a research proposal.
View the video [13:15]
Writing the thesis
This video lecture gives an overview of the different elements one should be aware of when writing a thesis or dissertation.
View the video [19:50]